Thursday, April 12, 2012

Goal setting 101

Goal Setting 101.  I have my business degree. I have read all sorts of books on goal setting. But I seldom apply them to my artlife. These books all talk about SMART goals:
  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Attainable
  • Realistic
  • Time Limited.
Does such goal setting limit our creativity,
or drive productivity?

Who wants to take time to track hours spent sketching?  Is it realistic to paint 30 pieces within 12 months? 

For me, I just want to paint. And keep painting. I don't want to think about registering my own website domain or creating the perfectly designed website. For me, I paint like I do jigsaw puzzles. As soon as I put the last piece in, I tear the puzzle apart. As soon as I have completed a painting, I am on to the next one.

It is in the creation, that I find such joy - not the result.

But the truth is, I should dedicate time and effort into the business aspect - which means a good website to showcase the artwork, make it look as good in a 2" x 2" space as it does in 20" x 20" and make it easy for others to discover my work. They just might like it.

So for a while, I will be SMARTER (no jokes, please). And I will continue to spend my days with paint under my fingernails, spots of gesso on my shirts and a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment